Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog # 3




Blog #3

Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year Olds


I think the findings in the reading would have surprised me if I didn’t work in a school where every student does have a cell phone and talks about the technology they use everyday.  I was surprised about the numbers (hour and a half) associated with texting.  I thought it would be higher.  I also thought the average time playing video games (about two hours) would be higher.  My students talk continuously about playing video games.  They talk about being up until 4:00 a.m. playing games, and some of these games they play with other people online.  I am often asked if I want to play online with them or what games I play.  When I answer that I don’t play video games they look at me like I am crazy.

I think students spend too much time texting and playing games.  What about playing outside and live social interaction?  I think social interaction is going to be a big problem for them at some point.

I don’t think it’s all bad.  The use of technology by students helps them feel comfortable with it, and will help them, if used appropriately, with school work and in the workforce.

As far as technology in my teaching goes I would use technology where technology is beneficial to students, and not just for the sake of using technology.  I will have to be aware of the technology that exists in order to make educated decisions about its use, and also to help combat cheating, cyber bullying and whatever new issues come up with technology.

Over all, I think technology, when used in moderation and used appropriately, is a good tool for everyone.










4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, I was also surprised by how much time kids spend playing video games. I thought those numbers would be higher because it's such an addictive, endless activity. I had a student admit to me once that he sometimes plays for 8 hours straight. I think your muscles can atrophy in that same amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted this in comments on some other blogs as well, but you might be interested in the work of Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods and part of a "No Child Left Inside" movement. And I agree that there will be a social cost to pay down the road if students don't develop face-to-face social skills. And since you mentioned that, I also wonder if there will be environmental cost as well, if students don't develop an appreciation for the outdoors and nature, and won't care one way or another about the destruction of the environment outside their room.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Marc. Social interaction is very important skill that youngsters must aquire as they grow, however, it is hard to interact socially when one spends 6-10 hours in front of a computer, or a play station or what not. I miss the days when children played outside. Sadly, today, on a nice summer day, the streets are empty, but the network is quite overpopulated. If I need to find anyone, I just get online. Sad...

    ReplyDelete